I recently migrated ISP from an ADSL2+ to a VDSL2 connection, providing “up to” 80Mbps downstream and 20Mbps upstream. Under ADSL2+ (Annex-A) with interleaving on and fastpath off, results from various “speed test” websites would show around 15mbps Down, 1mbps up. The pre-migration controller information is as follows:
DS Channel1 DS Channel0 US Channel1 US Channel0 Speed (kbps): 0 19228 0 1235
As I started looking into the capabilities of my 887VA, I discovered that the routing performance is listed as 25.6Mbps (According to the Cisco routing performance product sheet). I had seen blogs discuss the negotiated max attainable rate, but not the throughput people have been getting.
With the new FTTC connection (VDSL2 – Profile 17a) I’m seeing a great “attainable rate” and should Profile 30A be enabled by my ISP (pretty unlikely) I’m theoretically capable of 130Mbps:
Attainable Rate: 135036 kbits/s 42711 kbits/s ... DS Channel1 DS Channel0 US Channel1 US Channel0 Speed (kbps): 0 79987 0 20000
I expected the bottleneck not to be on the VDSL2/ADSL chipset side of things, but on the Cisco 887VA itself. After checking some line information and making sure I had a 1500, I headed off to test the throughput. I decided to test downloading an Ubuntu ISO over HTTP, resulting in transfer speeds of 9M, Bps (~72Mbps), with various speedtest websites also showing 72Mbps with under 25ms latency.
So there you have it, the Cisco 887 is certainly capable of running an 80Mbps FTTC connection